More and more frequently, digital thieves are trying to access information inaccessible to them, which is located on a computer or on a specific website. They primarily need certain credit card information or other confidential information. With each time their actions become increasingly more sophisticated and trickier. To effectively protect yourself against them, you need to be aware of their basic methods of hacking and obtaining important information.
Here are the basic techniques that they use most often, as well as measures of precaution and protection:
1. Hacking the website platform on which the information is located. To maximally protect yourself from this, place your information on sites with a complex programming language, and the server is limited exclusively to the internal network. Additional user authentication will be an additional plus for your protection.
2. Password hacking. The source of the password can be a script launched by hackers, which will read all the information entered on the keyboard and transmit it to intruders. Protection does exist! The more complex the password, the harder it is for the script to recognize it. If the password consists of upper and lower case symbols, characters and digits, digital thieves will have a harder time getting to your information.
3. Weak computer protection. Due to the absence of antivirus, pirated operating system and non-installed updates, your secret materials can be stolen. To protect yourself, you need to configure protection, use a firewall and install the necessary updates from the vendor’s official site.
4. Absence of regular scanning. Such negligence can lead to you losing everything at once. To save the information stored on the website, it is recommended to conduct a quarterly PCI scan through the Trustwave service.
5. Absence of system patches. Failure to do this often leads to blocking of all data. It is easier for the attackers to steal information if you do not have the latest version of the patch. They just need to press one button and the virus will penetrate the security center and deprive you of access to your own documents.
6. Brutus is another trick of thieves. Brutus is similar to password hacking but it happens in a different way. Password hacking is done by reading the information, while Brutus entails password hacking by means of picking. Of course, you can have a complex password consisting of numbers, but if the password contains your name and year of date of birth, this makes it so much easier to hack. Also, this method can be used to detect a similar password on other services, so do not use the same password on different sites and change your password more often. This applies to passwords from FTP, database users and website accounts.
7. Another proven method is protection with the help of .htaccess files. These files help to configure and improve the security of the site. Thanks to them, you can install many additional configurations that will help build a system of protection against hacking. Also, thanks to the .htaccess file, editing the system parameters will be more secure for you, because it happens without affecting the main configuration file, which means that the possibility of a system crash due to the deletion of the system file is almost eliminated.
8. SSL protocol is another indispensable aid in website protection. Thanks to it, a secure connection is established between the server and the user’s browser. Information is transmitted in a coded form via HTTPS. Hacking a site becomes much more difficult, because the encoding can only be decrypted with a special key, which creates many difficulties for hackers and complicates the task of hacking.
9. Hacking without the use of technical means. This method is rarely used, but it does exist. To obtain a password, attackers introduce themselves as technical support personnel or administrators and request a password. Once you give it to them, you can say goodbye to your documents forever. There is only one security measure against this method: be careful about who you share your account login information.
10. Site moderation and administration remain the best ways to protect the site from hacking. Moderation includes realtime website monitoring and controlling all “nodes” of the site, daily “cleaning” of the site from spam and prompt servicing of any technical changes to the site. Administration entails statistical calculations and tracking content changes.
11. Website security check. There is no need to explain why security check is important. To prevent your website from hackers attack you should know whether your website has SSL certificate or https redirect, is it connected to special security software, if your security software date expiration is up to date. So with the help of website security checker tool you will be alerted about any problems your website may have.