What is silo structure
Silo structure optimization is a process of grouping website pages according to their content. To create a website silo structure, you need to solve two main problems:
- Define the general theme of the site. Sometimes on websites with a large number of articles and pages, it is difficult to determine the main topic. To fix this, analyze the site’s traffic – who, why, and for what key requests comes to your site.
- Divide existing content into groups.
There are two types of silo architecture that logically link topics on a site to each other: physical and virtual. Both types will help to achieve the result, but they use different approaches. We recommend determining the silo structure type before the development of the site. This creates a kind of foundation and more opportunities will be available in the future.
Physical silo optimization means you manually create an understandable URL structure of the site. But virtual website architecture is grouping site categories through HTML internal linking. As in the physical structure, elements similar in content are grouped together, and unrelated ones are separated. The Internet, in fact, is a group of web pages that are interconnected by hyperlinks. Thus, a website is both part of the global network and several independent pages. Search engines try to highlight and show users hyperlinks relevant to their queries.
Siloing is a significant achievement in the industry of interactive marketing, which allows you to make the site user-friendly and at the same time more attractive for search engine algorithms.
How does it benefit SEO
The traditional structuring of web resources is carried out in order to solve two main problems.
- As much as possible to facilitate and accelerate the search for information on the site for visitors.
- Achieve full indexing of the resource by search robots, remove any obstacles to the movement of search engine bots across pages and sections.
Silo website technology expands the idea of structuring according to the principle of “thorough mixing of grain”. The term is taken from agriculture. How various ingredients are thoroughly mixed in a silo pit, thereby increasing the digestibility and nutritional value of pets’ food and the creation of semantic relationships on the site’s pages expands the possibilities of website promotion in search engines by increasing the number of queries.
In a certain sense, the silo SEO structure can be compared with the contextual internal linking, due to which the link weight and behavioral factors increase resource. When compiling the site structure, you should correctly group thematically related pages according to link juice flows within the thematic group. As a result, each page of high-level page depths distribution contains links to related pages. Using this approach, you can create thematic clusters consisting of groups of closely related documents.
The benefits are as follows:
- Navigation and site structure are clear to users;
- The correct distribution between web pages: subpages link to containers (and vice versa);
- Search engine crawlers find it easier to understand the structure of the site and create a list of tasks for crawling pages.
The main benefit is search algorithms correctly evaluate the context of clusters and the relationship of content on the site.
The construction of the logical structure of the site and the hierarchy based on semantics makes it possible to correctly distribute the static weight among pages, and use anchor text on referring pages without fear of breaking the thematic coherence of content.